Tuesday 28 August 2018

Decided to mix things up tonight and run some hill repeats. After considering some route options I decided to head out to Dovestones reservoir which has an off road loop around the main reservoir and then a steep track up to Chew reservoir (once the highest reservoir in the country).

Having taken inspiration from a Runners World schedule for running the marathon in under 3 hours, I set off to run 9 miles total with 15*2mins up hill with jog back down recoveries (including warm-up, cool-down).

After the warm-up (2miles easy) I arrived at the start of the track up to Chew reservoir. I had totally forgotten how steep the track sets off at from the bottom. Needless to say, I was seriously struggling within 60 seconds of setting off on my first rep of 15!!!

I managed 4 reps before having to adjust the session and move further up the track to a less demanding gradient. This decision saved the session and I managed to complete 6 more reps before heading back to the car totally spent.

Although the session wasn't as intended I felt I worked hard enough to get a training benefit and my legs got some good strength training which should help during the remaining weeks. Not sure how much of a hurry I will be in to return to Dovestones tho.

https://flow.polar.com/training/analysis/2771989407